Sunday 10 July 2011

And so it begins.....

The First Decision is Made

I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but my wife and I decided that now would be a good time to sell up and move to a bigger home. I grew up in the South-Eastern suburbs of Sydney, so the move to the South-West has been one that I have struggled with, even though we have been out there now (on and off) for 10 years. I should point out that, growing up, my life existed wholly east of Botany Road so when I heard the name Camden, I had no idea where the hell that was. Now, it takes me 30 minutes just to get to Botany Road. 

So, somehow we decided to upgrade. I guess I just figured that if we are going to live out here, I may as well have the dream house. So next thing we have listed our house and were looking for something new. Three days later when our house sold, we figured we better find somewhere new- and quick! 

I loathed the idea of building again. We had built our first place and deal with a local builder. Without any business sense. Or competency. It was a daily battle dealing with these bumbling fools and I would have given up at least an hour a day to manage them. Yet still they made countless, basic errors. 

But the attraction of the stamp duty saving proved to be too much. Before I knew it, my wife had me at the Gregory Hills display village and my kids had selected the rooms of the Lincoln display that they would be moving in to. A sneaky trick of my wife was to convince me that it was all my idea, but I know it was her. Still, either way, it was the right one. The Lincoln it is!

But where to put it? Land in the Camden area is starting to become rare. Sure, there is Spring Farm, but isnt that on the tip? Or Oran Park? As an avid hater of car racing, I really couldnt do it to myself. We also considered Harrington Grove, but the $3000 annual fee out me off. We made a few offers on a block in Camden Acres without success. Fortunately, there was one remaining block at Elderslie, so we snapped it up on the spot.

 So, here is the block of dirt we now own. The low loader is not included thankfully. But seriously, has there even been a better block of dirt? I doubt it..

One minor problem is that the block has a 1.5m wide easement down the left side. Will this be a problem? To be advised....


2 comments:

  1. Hi Brett. It has been great reading your blog as we have just gone through exactly what you outlined. So what stage are you up to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the massive delay in responding. I kinda got preoccupied and neglected the blog. But now the place is finished and I am going through the process of updating it now, all the way to the completed product!
    Stay tuned!!

    ReplyDelete